Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technofirma Rebalance
19-10-2015, 04:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-10-2015, 11:21 AM by darkrising.)
Technofirma Rebalance
Somethings in the pack seem to flow together very well, while others seem to stick out, and be there own thing. In this thread, please post your ideas for rebalancing Technofirma, its tech tree and progression systems, while stating your reason for thinking it needs to be rebalanced. If you  see an idea you don't like, respond to that idea and state your reasons why you disagree with it. 

I have also been thinking of adding Progression, a mod specifically for tech trees. Should it be added? Poll: http://strawpoll.me/5773627

Thank you, 
kev12east
19-10-2015, 04:28 AM,
RE: Technofirma Rebalance
How would Progression feel different for the user? From the summary it seems more like a dev tool.
19-10-2015, 04:42 AM,
(19-10-2015, 04:28 AM)mrmorse Wrote: How would Progression feel different for the user? From the summary it seems more like a dev tool.

Progression has a different GUI. In essence, it allows for devs to structure how players progress. For instance, I could make it so that you must build a ship before making a plane. I could make it so that players walk slowly/are weaker until they do a certain task. I have not fully planned its integration into Technofirma yet, but it will be something along those lines.
02-11-2015, 04:50 PM,
I love this modpack because Terrafirma is the backdrop to whatever other MOD i choose to play with.

It takes so long to do the TFC version of any one thing that i think the cross-pollination of advanced steps in separate mods needs to be limited. i dont think many people have time or energy to slog through Immersive Engineering + Electrical Age + Thaumcraft together...you kinda have to pick your battles

For instance, Refined Iron is common item in Thaumcraft recipes, but i have to rely on the fact that others in my group made the Macerator and all the crap that goes along with getting that to work.

If i was playing by myself i would never get anywhere in thaumcraft. It is prohibitively difficult.

We are already starting out in the stone age....TFC is hard enough--don't make me have to figure out batteries and copper wire and whatever else goes into a Macerator before i can even do low-level wizardry!!

My point is, i think that each MOD should rely on TFC roots, rather than have recipes that include OTHER mods from the pack. Make us get past the iron age and into steel before we can do advanced things in these mods, but don't make me figure out how to make a Defense Turret in whatever MOD that is before i can even shock a zombie with my wand.

I think for instance that either Refined Iron needs to be toned down to Wrought Iron, or converted to Steel, in the thaumcraft recipies. not sure what to do for refined gold but same complaint.

it takes too much work to get to the required advanced level in all the mods together, it should just be "choose your own adventure within TFC, here are your options!" rather than "you HAVE TO DO ALL OF THEM OR YOU CAN DO NONE RIGHT!"
02-11-2015, 06:22 PM,
an addendum to my last post.

I just made the thermostatic harness. it had a bunch of stuff from other mods in it--they weren't a problem in themselves, they were a nice multi step process. the problem was needing refined iron to make the nuggets to make the transistor...

so i am not suggesting we eliminate other mods stuff from every recipe, but just dont make me have to go deep into some other mod to do stuff in another...except for TFC as the root of all mods...

anyways thats my thought.
03-11-2015, 12:18 AM,
Duly noted for consideration. Thank you for the feed back.
05-11-2015, 12:16 AM,
Not sure if it was touched upon already, but we discussed a sapling option for managing tree farming.

Making the saplings an acquired item during the iron age by way of a recipe involving leaves or cuttings. Good way to reflect on the advances of agriculture during the iron age, in this case Arboriculture and the related forestry-based industries.

I agree with the mod separation suggestions. Some mods just aren't meant to be together in scope and purpose. Without some of the more advanced thaumcraft mods, adding tech to the TC infusion lines doesn't make a lot of sense (tech used lightly as a term for not-magic). For progression based movement through the pack, perhaps arcane and mundane paths would be a great way to add diversity to the player's individual portfolio. An example would be three or four people in a group, with two magi (thaumcraft and blood magic), a metalworker/miner, and an agriculturalist/builder. Your TC and BM guys are choosing respective magical paths and producing those components for overall quality of life and the other guys are providing tech, tools and food for the group. Both sides can still implement automation and augment building material supplies and conveniences.
10-12-2015, 08:56 PM,
Let's talk about food and sleep.

The current Better Sleeping mod (I think that's what's causing it at least) is kinda a disaster: People fall over and sleep on the ground, but this counts as a sleep event for everyone and advances time, but doesn't let them rest. Result, all my food has rotted away to nothing, crops everywhere are only seeds, it is impossible to stay fed, and I'm drinking water so fast I run out of clay jugs. Each time one person sleeps, time advances, and everyone then sleeps one after another. Everyone gets the full penalties of everyone else's sleep. I don't think that's how it is supposed to work.

Likewise, trying to actually use a bed results in "You can only sleep at night" or "You don't feel tired right now" ... unless you're completely dead tired AND it is night.

The Berth recipe change seems very harsh to new players. Beds as-always require a saw; berths were a beautiful low-tech alternative for people just showing up, and now they are rather late-game. (Or is there some magic way to smelt clay using tfc tools?)