Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technofirma 3 (1.9)
19-05-2016, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016, 10:55 PM by dexman545.)
Technofirma 3 (1.9)
So, with Terrafirmacraft 2 in development, and the update to Minecraft 1.9 hanging over my head, I have decided to redo Technofirma from the ground up! Since I am doing this, I'm curious to know what you like/hate about the current version of the pack, what mods you like/hate/ignore/use, and what mods you want to see added in future. This information is useful so I can refine the pack and make it better, keep in mind I do have an idea about how I want Technofirma to be, and can say "no" to any mod/feautre change that I don't agree with (the power of tyranny!).

Edit: a (not very organized) list I whipped together of mods I am considering/will be adding/want to add: http://pastebin.com/vJT7jEFM

Your feedback is appreciated, 
thank you,
dex 
20-05-2016, 12:36 AM,
RE: Technofirma 3 (1.9)
(19-05-2016, 09:15 PM)dexman545 Wrote: So, with Terrafirmacraft 2 in development, and the update to Minecraft 1.9 hanging over my head, I have decided to redo Technofirma from the ground up! Since I am doing this, I'm curious to know what you like/hate about the current version of the pack, what mods you like/hate/ignore/use, and what mods you want to see added in future. This information is useful so I can refine the pack and make it better, keep in mind I do have an idea about how I want Technofirma to be, and can say "no" to any mod/feautre change that I don't agree with (the power of tyranny!).

Edit: a (not very organized) list I whipped together of mods I am considering/will be adding/want to add: http://pastebin.com/vJT7jEFM

Your feedback is appreciated, 
thank you,
dex 

To me the current strength of the pack is the diversity of tech/magic you can use... the weakness is the amount of stuff that doesn't work or where implementation was never completed. So for example, we have mekanism which is an awesome mod, but it's more or less used in here just for the pipes (maybe the pump) and none of its crazy complicated ore processing (which is what it's known for) gets used. For those of us who have been playing for a long time, we know which parts of which mods work... a new player who gets excited because the modpack has mod "X" will get frustrated that they can't do "Y" which is the reason they like mod "X". There's also a lot of resource hungry bloat like the stellar sky mod and animated chunks... they're cool mods but they're disproportionately resource hungry considering they add nothing to the gameplay itself. I think two examples of mods which are particularly well implemented are Immersive Engineering and Electrical Age... they're kind of both critical to your tech progression. But you never really need to get into IC2 or Mekanism unless you want nuclear power or pipes. I think I would honestly scrap both of the latter, and if you wanted to add a reactor mod do something cleaner like big reactors *or* keep the IC2 and integrate its machines into the tech tree (I get that Big Reactors is overpowered but by 'clean' I mean it doesn't add anything besides the reactor stuff for players to get confused over).

I do love that there are tech routes and magic routes. There are some cool transportation options with transporters and the lowered tier for railcraft (although I keep finding myself putting it off because it's still quite expensive). One thing I feel like the pack is missing is storage, but we do have logistics pipes so that's probably me just being lazy and not building a logistics pipe network Tongue Would love something like Applied Energistics for end game, but I don't think that's being developed for 1.9?

There are a lot of mods I disable because I have to for frame's sake or recording's sake which I would otherwise use (like Weather 2, Hardcore Darkness, Stellar Sky etc), but the only mod I always switch off because it makes the pack too easy is peaceful surface. I feel like it's unnecessary... Like if you want the pack to be a peaceful pack it can be built that way from the ground up with alternate recipes for mob drops and hides and stuff. Totally doable, but a mod isn't required to achieve what a player can already do by just switching the difficulty to peaceful.
21-05-2016, 10:41 PM,
IC2 (Classic) - never able to test due to lack of integration
Electrical Age - Keep
Railcraft - keep, coke oven is really good for progression
Block Physics - Not a fan, TFC physics already exists. Adding another physics mod tends to screw up things more then you benefit from realism
Immersive Engineering - Just getting into it, but seems like it's a good addition
Tinker's Construct - Great mod, don't think would fit well with TFC without a lot of integration. Probably should be left out to keep TFC feel
Weather 2 - Always hated this mod. Breaks things that rely on normal weather.
NEI - Absolute must
Pam's Harvestcraft - Intresting idea but probably moves food too far from TFC, unless you can get the spoil mechanic onto the food.
Wawla - must have
Chisel - I love chisel, gives variety of building mats
Storage Drawers - I don't know this mod at all, but some kind of inventory management mod would be appreciated. Possibly also add JABBA?
-Some guide mod - Quests to teach are always great, possibly make it slightly easier for noobs to start out after the spawn area has been pecked clean.

Magic? I love having magic mods as mid-late game progression and I think it fits well.

Aura Cascade - don't know this mod
Blood Magic - Love it, needs better integration however
Thaumcraft - Keep, good fit.
Witchery - Not sure on this one
Psi - never used
Botania - Good mod, could work with good intergration.
Better Ahievements - Achievements are fun
Flat Bedrock - who cares?
some map mod? Journey map, Leave player radar and cave mapping on, I can understand not having mob radar though.
Better Foliage - Looks great, usually disabled due to performance. but if fps is good enough would leave on.
Graves? This pack requires large amounts of long travel and extremely easy death combined with very high resource cost equipment. Simply put, without KeepInventory I would not play.

Dynamic Lights - Love it. Dropping a torch into a ravine to see whats down there is really cool.
Hardcore Darkness - Hate it. Playing in pitch black is never fun in any game.
Stellar Sky, looks cool but not worth the performance hit
Streams - Kinda cool varity to terrain. Depends on world gen of TFC if they have more biomes and such.
Bloodmoon? No, just no. servers with this see players log out because of a blood moon. There shouldn't be a feature that makes you want to leave.
Techreborn- never used before
Minecraft Flight Simulator - seems like it could be fun, but can the server keep up?
Parachute Mod - if you have planes, you need parachutes.
Chunk animator - I disabled, hate it.
Open Computers - Yes, lots of versatility although I have never gotten into it others that have loved it.
Forever Enough Items
Keeping Inventory? already covered, without I would not play the pack.
Progression? There absolutely should be / is a progression curve
AutoSapling? looks cool, need saplings to drop though. The auto regrowth mechanic only seems to work on loaded chunks. Not having saplings drop is really just limiting how creative we can be with buildings.
Realistic Torches? not needed, already a feature of TFC.
Death Counter? meh who cares?
StepUp - Love having 1 block high step especially in TFC.
Buldcraft - A few of the machines are usefull. The pipes are terrible, very bad. Would prefer a mod like Ender IO for the conduits. Obviously needing a serious re-balance of mats to craft them though.
Territorial Dealings? Land claiming is a basic function that should be easy and free to do, I like this plugin https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/grief...tion.1884/
It lets you claim / manage land easily (it uses a vanilla golden shovel and stick as tools, so this would need to be worked around) and you earn claim blocks for time on the game.
PLacemod? seems cool
trashcan? Yes pls! While i love the mod that keeps items around on the ground for a long time, we still need a way to get rid of junk.
Pig Manure? intresting would take a decent amount of integration though
Simple dimensions - I'd rather a terrestrial alternative for materials gathered from other dimensions. They seem to be not fitting with TFC
Steam Advantage? Meh
Fragile torches? nah, lighting is already hard enough.
Seasons API? redundant, already a feature of TFC. would only cause problems.
InstaBoom - No, sounds very not fun.
Regional water? No, not fun. Limits a lot of things.
Lingering Loot. Like it, just need a trash can for things we want to get rid of.
Inventory Book? Not needed, KeepInventory is
Vanilla Immersion? No, please god no
Decocraft, Yes, love it. But cost for dyes is far too expensive
Capenter's Blocks - Great mod
Craft Heraldry – looks cool, never used
-A fix for vanilla buckets placing vanilla water. Same for Lava. A lot of mods need buckets of water / lava for things.
logistics pipes – Ender IO pls
Peaceful Surface? – YES, LOVE THIS.
Pneumaticcraft? Great mod that fits well with the pack. No one uses it because it isn’t possible to due to integration. The one time I got into it I required a lot of items from you due to recipes not being converted. Also the programing puzzles for the drones should have their iron cost removed really. The costs to craft them were balanced for vanilla iron rates / ease. It’s very expensive to get into the mod so people don’t do it, thus don’t know how great it really is.
Project Red? Don’t even know what this is
Remain In Motion? Never used
Recurrent Complex? Seems cool
Ropes Plus? Love it! I use my Grappling hook all the time
Schematica? Seems cool
ships mod- While I love the idea of a ships mod, this one sucks. It is something that is needed early game but with the mod you need a LARGE amount of wool. Wool isn’t even easy to get in bulk late game. Even with unlimited resources the ships made are slower then a vanilla boat.
Ye Gamol Chattels – has some neat things, wouldn’t prioritize it.

Trade, the pack needs some way to easily trade over long distances. Player trade is near non-existent due to how far people are forced to spread out. Having some mod with a mailbox system at the very least, preferably with a renewable resource cost to mail things, like paper (for envilopes)

Fire Spread, There is nothing worse then exploring an entire continent full of burnt husks of trees because there is lava on the surface somewhere or lightning strikes. Most forest biomes just don't exist because as soon as they are generated they are doomed to be burnt down. This needs to be fixed.
25-05-2016, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-05-2016, 03:48 AM by rocketboy351.)
AE2, Thaumic Horizens, Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Tinker, Witching gadgets, Forbidden magic, Automagy, Ars magica, Forestry, Thaumic Explorations, Thaumic infusions, Gadomancy, Tainted magic, Arcane engineering, practical logistics, Technomancy, Thaumurgical knowledge, Thaumic additions, Magistics, Thaumic alchemy, Thaumic storage, Intangible, Iguana Tweaks, Extra TC, Metallurgy 4, Portal Gun (reason for this is to allow for easy transport of belongings between islands
27-05-2016, 01:05 AM,
I'd like to see a balancing of some of the mobs to not be able to one-hit-kill; Cave spiders, bears, etc. have all been buffed apocalyptically. A better approach would be a more complex damage system-- several mods deal with wounds in terms of bleed (which can draw zombies, etc) and continue to grow worse unless treated, with bandages, poultices, etc.

I'd really love to see better mobility. I don't know if Smart Movement will make it to 1.9 or already has-- but the ability to crawl, climb, and scramble over all sorts of tricky terrain is immensely immersive. Downside, it doesn't render armor in the right spot usually. Maybe fixable, maybe not.

I don't think Metallurgy will be integratable... it's got a whole different set of ores-- but maybe, depending on how flexible the new alloying system in TFC2 is.

Portal Gun is absurdly OP. Please-no. That said, the ability to ALWAYS be able to /back and /home and /setspawn with no bed would be quite welcome.

I would favor toning down the oceans so that we have very large supercontinents-- this works much better for rail transit.

I'd like to see people use OpenComputers more; that might need rebalancing of recipes to be easier?

I second the call for EnderIO-- having bundles of different kinds of pipes in the same block is wonderful.

I really really really want Applied Energistics. I recommend turning off the worldgen meteors though-- those will create vanilla dirt.

I strongly recommend new players receive an automated item bundle (not by asking, but just directly in their inv on login. Easy to do!) that contains at least a boat.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, removing dependencies between mods would be a very good thing. Stuff like Air sigils needing windmills is painfully immersion breaking, for me.