Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Resets and progress
02-11-2015, 06:48 PM,
Map Resets and progress
Hello!
I see that a map reset is imminent with the next version (2.16) and while I know that we're still waiting for a mod update before that happens, I just wanted to offer my thoughts on it.  With such a diverse modpack, and the common Terrafirmacraft beginning, it takes a little while to really get a good base going and get to start enjoying some of the more fun 'end game' stuff in the other mods.
I love the modpack and I've loved playing on DarkServerUK so far, but it's a bit of a bummer investing time into builds and teamwork to have it wiped in just less than three months. I'm guessing that this map is getting a shorter than average run due to the switch from enviromine to blockphysics, but I don't know. Maybe it is what the players should expect? Anyhow, I'm no stranger to world resets, but this one feels more discouraging than most.
Kind regards,
-mrmorse
02-11-2015, 09:53 PM,
RE: Map Resets and progress
i would also submit that the mod is awesome and done and new stuff does not need to be added---just rebalance and fix broken things and let it be published....

people wanna play it now, not some other version later--its already awesome!
03-11-2015, 12:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015, 12:23 AM by dexman545.)
One of the main reasons the map is being reset is that when I switched the pack over to Blockphysics, a bunch of older chunks became unusable (player enters them and can't do anything, I have to move them out manually). Because of this, I have two options: a) reset the map, or b) manually find and delete each chunk that has this issue (far to many chunks are affected to do this). Generally, I will keep the map up for 3+ months, unless any unforeseen issues arise as a result of pack updates. Keep in mind, I also play on the server, and am equally as invested in each map. There is also the possibility of Realistic Terrain Generation gaining TFC support, and if that happens, it will be nice to have a map using its world generation (though a reset is not dependent on this, it is simply something nice to have). In previous versions, I would let players keep there inventories if they chose to, but with changes to Forge in 1.7, that is no longer easily doable, and very impracticable (I have to modify the level.dat to correctly account for all numerical ids). I would offer to carry bases over, but again, I would have to do so manually, and with the amount of people, it would take far to much time to do so (I would literally have to save the base as a schematic, download it, load it into a special world, then resave it as a schematic, then upload it back onto the server). This particular reset is not happening very soon. I have recipes to finish (30+ left or so), balancing, world gen, mod updates, and waiting for FTB to update. The earliest the map could possibly reset is end of this week (a time I find highly unlikely), latest is next month (also kind of unlikely). I'm sorry I have to reset it, but from the standpoint of basically the sole active admin of the Technofirma server, and the pack dev, resetting the map is the best solution at this time.
04-11-2015, 08:55 PM,
Hey Dex,

totally understand.

I can't face restarting (even with a nice anvil) again right now, and there is no point to making progress with a map reset coming within the month at this point so this is going to end it for me until the modpack development is done. i think i'll be back once it's done but it's not worth trying to advance when new entire mods are still being added that require map wipes every 4 months...

which of course means i am playing an in-development mod for the wrong reasons so i am not trying to complain here. Smile just explaining my new absence.

Just gonna have to take a breather and come back when map resets are done for the forseeable future. For what its worth, i think the mod as it is right now could easily be considered DONE as far as features go and only needs work on finishing killing all the bugs and doing your rebalance effort....its really great as is. lovely modpack... don't think it needs more mods added Smile though i may have to try this masochistic magic mod next time.

thanks
Mike/dank
04-11-2015, 10:30 PM,
(04-11-2015, 08:55 PM)podank Wrote: Hey Dex,

totally understand.  

I can't face restarting (even with a nice anvil) again right now, and there is no point to making progress with a map reset coming within the month at this point so this is going to end it for me until the modpack development is done. i think i'll be back once it's done but it's not worth trying to advance when new entire mods are still being added that require map wipes every 4 months...

which of course means i am playing an in-development mod for the wrong reasons so i am not trying to complain here. Smile  just explaining my new absence.

Just gonna have to take a breather and come back when map resets are done for the forseeable future.  For what its worth, i think the mod as it is right now could easily be considered DONE as far as features go and only needs work on finishing killing all the bugs and doing your rebalance effort....its really great as is.  lovely modpack... don't think it needs more mods added Smile  though i may have to try this masochistic magic mod next time.

thanks
Mike/dank

Going to repost this here:

Quote:This pack has it's origins in another pack I made, Dextek, which was a private server pack for DarkserverUK. Dextek was a mod pack in which I added whatever I wanted, and changed other things whenever. At one point, I added Terrafirmacraft. After some time, I managed to get Gregtech to at least partially work with TFC. It was at a later date that I found a thread on the FTB forums discussing the possibility of a TFC modpack coming to the launcher. It was a subject of much debate on that thread if it were possible to add TFC into a modpack with other tech mods or not. To put it simply I said it was, and others disagreed. After some time had passed, I compiled a modpack called Technofirma (very original, I know), and released it on the FTB launcher. As far as I know, this was the first modpack of it's kind, and that really annoyed me at the time. To put it shortly, this modpack began as nothing more than a proof of concept, and with the idea that other modpacks utilizing Terrafirmacraft would come about, or community interest would be strong enough that I simply could leave pack development to the community, and the project would be over. To the extent of those goals, this pack has been completed, and has been for awhile now (I can name at least one pack that comes from Technofirma, and there's a modpacks sub-forum on the TFC forums, need I say more?). However, I met new people, and saw a real interest (and a surprising enjoyment in the pack I had put together), and as such I continued to develop it (a player of this pack has actually written a mod for this pack). I still plan on developing this pack, but there will still be some experimentation going on, as it is with Thaumcraft, and soon to be some other mods.

Also, to clarify, the map was going to be reset back when the errored chunks started to appear. I simply pushed it back to an update that changed world gen, so that the map would not have to be reset twice.
04-11-2015, 11:01 PM,
Thanks for the thorough response, dex. I have enjoyed the dynamic aspect of the pack for the most part. For me it's been a way to be introduced to new mods, and I appreciate that it isn't 'done,' but continues to evolve. As I mentioned in in-game chat, I just wanted to offer up some feedback from a player perspective. While 'dynamic' can bring in some really cool new stuff, stability can let us create some cool stuff with the pack.
(to your repost: I thought about sampling another tfc modpack, but you're the only one that has put in Electrical Age Smile and it is too excellent to turn away from. )
Cheers